I've moved to a new site: mwgerard.com
But don't worry -- this site will remain open and all of these posts and comments are on the new site too.
All of my writings and posts, including film reviews, will be housed at the new site.
Please stop by!
19 July 2011
I am not a Potter nerd. I've read the books, and I saw most of the movies. They're fine. Fun for the most part. But I'd never stand in line for one, or join a uberfan club in order to get my own Quidditch stick. So I hope fans and non-fans alike will take this list in the manner in which I intend it -- good fun and with a bit of humor. Or humour, if you prefer.
Things I Noticed Upon Viewing the Final Installment of Harry Potter
- Harry, it's time to get some laser eye surgery. (Or as my husband suggested, get someone to do a little occulum repairum or something).
|Is that Hogwarts? Nope, it's Coventry Cathedral after the bombing.|
- Yep, I got it. Potter World = Blitz-era London and England. (see: rubble strew ruins; dour-looking nurses in makeshift field hospitals; Neville as the anti-Neville Chamberlain; sending the kids off to the country; Potter as Churchill post-Coventry; everything begins and ends in a rail station). Please lift the obviousum spell.
- Voldemort seriously needs some lotion.
- Potter and Voldemort are NOT Sherlock and Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls. Stop it.
- Maybe someone should get the students to help hold off the evil army, rather than run up and down lots of stairs.
- Seriously guys. Spit it out! You don't have time to be dramatic, speak in riddles or dance around the issue.
- The Room of Requirement would be a fantastic yard sale.
- A new hairstyle doesn't make you look 19 years older.
- Snape, you've got helmet hair. Someone had to tell you.
- Maggie Smith rules, no matter what.